** ONION BOMBS - CAMPING FOOD**
ground meat (I prefer turkey!!)
seasonings to taste (mine were like meatloaf tasting!!)
1. peel your onions and cut them in half as equally as possible.
2. Prepare your meatballs how you want them— I used italian seasoning, oregano, chili powder, minced garlic, ketchup, worcestershire sauce and some bread crumbs
3. Size your meatballs so that they can be squished between two pieces of onions. Some meat will push out the ends and that is okay!!! Just make them as compact as possible!!
4. wrap each onion bomb in tinfoil— might want to double them since they’ll be tossed in the fire! Make sure not to poke holes in the foil!!
5. toss in the fire and try to get them in the coals.
6. cook for about 10 minutes, flip em around and cook another 10 minutes or so!!!
Nabbed this one off of the FB. One year I made so many different foil packet meals that I was just beyond needing recipes. I got to the level of just throwing stuff onto a square of tinfoil and calling it ready to bake within minutes of getting home from work.
Campfire food is great. Stuff like this reminds me of the dishes we’d eat while camping growing up, and some of the tasty stuff my mom made not long ago (red chile pork and potato burritos oh man).
I do plan on trying a variation of this one at home for sure though. probably just use a large onion for two servings, and mince up part of the halved insides to put IN the meat. Mmm.